12 + Ferron Salniker / Women in Mezcal
/ it’s about origins not trends
This episode focuses on women in mezcal. Ferron Salniker joins us to share her experiences traveling in Mexico and researching women in the industry. Ferron tells each producer’s story; how they came to mezcal, the obstacles they face and what their goals are for the future of their business. These women come from very different socio-economic backgrounds, and each has their own reasons as to how and why they choose to produce agave spirits.
This is a topic we will continue discussing on the podcast. We are asking our listeners to share the names of women mezcaleras, vinateras and their brands that we did not mention in this episode. You can post in the comments section or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ferron is a journalist who writes about the intersection of food and culture. She has been published widely in print magazines, newspapers and online media publications. She is the event manager and coordinator for Mezcalistas the online publication that is a great resource for thoughtful reporting on the mezcal industry; they organize Mezcal Week and host the infamous Mexico in a Bottle events around the country. Ferron also hosts a wonderful blog Ferronlandia that I encourage you all to visit, especially before traveling to Mexico! Here are just a few of Ferron’s published articles we recommend:
1. Tlacolula market on a trip to Oaxaca
2. A cantina spread in Merida, where Ferron lived
3. Holbox, an island off the coast of the Yucatan peninsula
4. Mercado de Abastos in Oaxaca
5. Paletas in Holbox
6. A spread from a Tijuana food truck park
7. Fabiola Ávila, maestra vinatera, Lagrimas de Dolores (Durango)
8. Betty Jimenez, mezcalera for El Buho mezcal (Oaxaca)
9. Sosima Olivera Aguila, Mezcalera, FaneKantsini (Oaxaca)
10. Emily Garcia Montiel, CEO, 618 Mezcal (Durango)
11. Concepcion Hernandez Jimenez, Mezcalera (Oaxaca)
12. Martha Garza, CEO Cuero Viejo (Durango)
13. Durango skies from the Lagrimas de Dolores Ranch
14. Durango skies
+ All images courtesy of Ferron Salniker
Comments will be approved before showing up.