- ¡Hey Hey! Agave Podcast
- MMC Events
14 + Field Notes / Michoacán
We are excited to announce that this episode is the first in an ongoing series we are calling Field Notes. These are conversations we have with friends and colleagues who have recently returned from trips to Mexico researching Mezcal and agave distillate production.
Today's edition features Michoacán. Our guest is Tess Rose Lampert who traveled to Michoacán with Ferron Salniker. Tess and Ferron were researching producers and planning the itinerary for some upcoming tours that Mezcalistas will be offering to both the Trade and Consumers.
We discussed Cupreata Agaves, production styles and particular traditions that surround the spirit. Tess also explained what it's like to travel to vinatas using the Ruta de Mezcal, a series of signage used to help travelers connect with local producers.
1. Mushroom infused Rum
2. A very flirty label of mezcal roughly translated to "underwear water"!
3. Young adult Cupreata agave
4. Baby Cupreata agaves
5. Different varieties of agave in Michoacán
6. Ferron and a Cupreata agave
7. The beautiful shiny leaves of a Cupreata agave
8. A nursery of cultivated Cupreata agaves
9. A sign outside of a vinata
"If you're feeling stressed, drink at least three!"
10. Wooden hat still from the vinata where Don Mateo is produced
11. The copper plate and wooden hat, all parts of the still, being shown by Don Lupe
12. Nurseries at Don Valente's Vinata
13., 16. Cupreata agave's at Don Valente's
14. Germinated agave seeds
15. Ruta de Mezcal signs
17. Mercado in Patzcuaro
18. Rattlesnake mezcal, believed to clean the blood
+ All images courtesy of Tess Rose Lampert