16 + Jason Paul Cox
/ Cinco Sentidos
In this episode, we talk with Jason Paul Cox. Jason is the owner of Cinco Sentidos, a small batch agave spirits brand specializing in artisanal and ancestral single expression mezcals. Cinco Sentidos tends to be a sought-after brand due to the limited number of expressions that make it to a few lucky US States.
Jason explains the brands' origin and development alongside El Destilado his farm-to-table restaurant with partner Joseph Gilbert in Oaxaca City. We discuss some of the expressions that are available in the US, including the Papalome produced by Amando Alvarez in Santa Maria Ixcatlan.
We talk about a 20-day agave roast, raw-hide fermentation and what makes Delfino Tobón Mejia’s lenteja still unique. Look out for the new La Coleccion Mixteca, a series of agave spirits from the Mixteca region which includes areas in Oaxaca, Puebla, and Guerrero (so far this collection includes expressions from Puebla and Oaxaca).
Read more about Jason and Cinco Sentidos here:
1. El Destilado in Oaxaca City
2. A few of the 36 + Cinco Sentidos expressions available at El Destilado
3. The new Mixteca Collection from Cinco Sentidos (coming to the US soon)
4. Four year old cultivated Papalometl (A. Potatorum)
5. Amando Alvarez, a 4th and 6th generation Mezcalero who regularly produces for Cinco Sentidos
6. Paplometl piñas ready to be roated
7. Unearthing the roasted piñas
8. Delfino Tobón Mejia, a mezcalero whose production style includes the use of a lenteja still
9. Delfino's lenteja still (covered)
10. The 3 plates that make up a lenteja still
11. Delfino adding water to the still
12.,13. Pizorra Agave ( A. Marmorata)
14., 15. Pichomel Agave (A. Marmorata)
16. The Krassel Family distillery where the rum agricole spirit, cañada, is produced
17. Loading the sugar cane used to make the agricole
18. Map of the Mixteca region in Oaxaca (link)
+ all images courtesy of Jason Paul Cox unless otherwise noted
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Dalton Kreiss & Hanna Woodside of Maguey Melate share their story. We talk about their agave spirits subscription club and why highlighting the producer is as important as the spirit.